Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Oh The Things We Do...
It's pouring outside and I decide we need to go to the grocery store.
What better time?!
So I packed Ryles up and we got on our way... without an umbrella. This was also the day we decided to try the Snuggly for the first time (the backpack she sits in strapped to my front).
We got to the store and the entire ride there, I'm willing the rain to stop just long enough for us to get into the store. We pulled into the parking lot and it was barely a sprinkle... Perfectly good enough for walking quickly and not getting much of anything in the way of rain drops. Success.
The car goes into park and the heavens open up - DOWN POUR! I look around us and there is no relief in sight - the clouds are thick and gray. Although, I absolutely love this weather, it's proven to make things a little more difficult with a baby and no umbrella.

What to do - What to do ... Think - Think - Think.
Well, I should probably go ahead and get her in the Snuggly and get ready in case the rain slows enough to make a run for it. So I manage to take my seat belt off and climb and squeeze my way into the back seat. That's right... all 5'9" of me. Thank goodness we moved her car seat behind the driver's side and it's not still in the middle!
So I finally get back there, hair in my face, shirt twisted and tangled and one shoe missing, only to realize that I have only tried to figure out this Snuggly once. They aren't very user-friendly. After a few minutes, I get it on and buckled and adjusted. It was a hand-me-down so no instructions came with it - I had to be smarter than the Snuggly.
Now to get her out of her car seat and in this thing. The whole time she has been sitting in her chair patiently just watching and getting a dose of what's more to come with her Mommy. I'm sure we'll be quite the duo someday - Throw Jody in and you've got a 3-Ring Circus... Get your tickets now!
You should probably, during this whole thing, picture me talking to her in those ridiculous noises and words that make no sense at all trying to keep her entertained. It worked... for both of us.
I managed to get her in the Snuggly... It's still raining. No, excuse me... It's not just raining, it's still draining half of Niagra Falls right here in Murfreesboro, TN at Publix where I happened to be sitting at the moment.
Ryley is now getting fussy wondering what the heck is going on and what the heck is this thing that she is in?! So now I'm stuck in the back seat with this thing strapped to my front with Ryley in it and I'm bouncing her trying to make her sleepy, very, very sleepy. I can't imagine what this must look like to anyone walking by. Luckily no one was walking... they were running... Except me (read on).
What was I going to do? Sit there all day and wait for the rain to stop?! No way!
I had waited long enough. Time to make my move.

What to do ... What to do ...
Blanket! I'll put the blanket over her head while I try to make it inside the store. So I open the door, blanket's on, but first I have to open the front door to get her diaper bag out. That's all it took - I was soaked.
I can't run with this thing on me. Not even a trot - She'd go flying out! Weeeeeeeeee - Probably not the thing to do.
So here I am, walking in the torrential downpour in my flip flops through all the puddles with a diaper bag and a baby on my chest. I might as well have been skipping and whistling as others zoomed past.
We ARE going grocery shopping... TODAY... and RIGHT NOW.
Oh the things we do...
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.